A Tirthankar is a special teacher in Jainism, a religion from India. Imagine it like a superhero who helps people understand how to live a good and kind life. There are 24 Tihrthankars, and they showed us how to be peaceful, honest, and caring towards others and all living things.
The first Tirthankar is called Rishabhdev, and the last one is called Mahavira. They taught important lessons about being nice, not hurting anyone, and taking care of the environment. Think of them like wise guides who help us make good choices!
Artist's Note:I have only been slightly exposed to Jain art and architecture through books, especially the pictures of Mount Abu ,Shatrunjaya cluster of temples and few random sculptures which I saw in the Madras museum collection. I remember studying Jain religious canons and about various monuments in my 10th standard text books. In my younger days, I was very fascinated by the Sittanavasal frescoes and I thought that someday I would visit them. I found that these desires were not practical, as they require a lot of money and effort which is unproductive for less successful artists such as myself. I transformed my interest more into modern art, which only requires minimal field study. Another reason for not overindulging in the realm of traditional art is that it is increasingly being viewed as a commodity or decorative object by Indian buyers.
I have never visited any Jain monument or living Jain temple except for the small temple called Thiruparuthikundram also known as Jaina Kanchi which had nice murals, but now spoilt in name of restoration by inexperienced hands.
These quick sketches of tirthankaras are the outcome of a quick, superficial research effort. Had I had the capacity to lay my hands on the great texts, I would have become a lucrative medical professional instead of a struggling artist. Every cloud has a silver lining. At least there are small pockets of people who show us respect for our creativity and expertise
I am privileged to receive valuable inputs from my friend and young research scholar, Mr. Swanand Mahendra Telang, (Maharashtra).I take full accountability for all mistakes and inconsistencies while interpreting the subjects. Under artistic license, a freer and broader approach was taken. No moral munificence, no intellectual inference, and no Google reference are used in this project.
Thank you all for showing interest in this blog. Feedback is greatly appreciated. Should there be any prospective buyer interested in acquiring the complete set, it is available for ₹15,000, which includes domestic shipping. All sketches are done on A5- Canson drawing paper using archival markers and Winsor & Newton watercolours. I refrained from watermarking the images so that friends can use these sketches as they like. Thank you. Jai Jinendra!
 |
(1) Lord Rishabhanatha |
 |
| (2) Lord Ajitanatha |
 |
| (3) Lord Sambhavanatha |
 |
| (4) Lord Abhinandananatha |
 |
| (5) Lord Sumatinatha |
 |
| (6) Lord Padmaprabha |
 |
| (7) Lord Suparshvanatha |
 |
| (8) Lord Chandraprabha |
 |
| (9) Lord Suvidhinatha |
 |
| (10) Lord Shitalanatha |
 |
| (11) Lord Shreyanshanatha |
 |
| (12) Lord Vasupujya |
 |
(13) Lord Vimalanatha
(14) Lord Anantnath
(15) Lord Dharmanatha
(16) Lord Shantinatha
(17) Lord Kunthunatha
(18) Lord Arnath
(19) Lord Mallinatha or Malli Devi
(21) Lord Naminatha
(22) Lord Neminatha
(23) Lord Parshwanath
(24) Lord Mahavira
Republic day greetings to all of you!! |
----end
Good dear Srinivas!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing!
Best wishes and warm regards
Hemantha Kumar Pamarthy
Lovely art, and great contribution to jain art from a contemporary pov. Am happy to see this first of its kind jain art with good research orientation. Kudos.
ReplyDelete